Edge Hill State School
Edge Hill State School is an attractive, well-resourced school with currently 1060 students. The school vision states an intention to educate leaders of the future in an environment that endeavours to challenge and support students and prepare them for living in and contributing to a global society and working in a global economy.
The school aims to educate children intellectually, socially, emotionally and physically in order to help them make a positive contribution to society, be adaptable problem solvers and capable of dealing with the demands of life now and in the future.
As part of the school’s philosophy regarding the production of efficient global citizens and a commitment to the value of diversity, Edge Hill has a well-established international program and the school accepts students on long-term visas, dependant student visas and tourist visas. The school is proud of its involvement with international students and has a strong reputation for the support given to the welfare of international students and their families.
This focus on cultural acceptance is underpinned by international students from a broad range of countries such as: Japan, China, Korea, Vietnam, Germany, Russia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Thailand, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Papua New Guinea and the United States of America.
The school’s motto, ‘Honour and Labour’ translates into a school community that strives for excellence particularly with regard to academic standards and values. The school prides itself on a tradition characterised by, ‘the values of fairness, responsibility, concern and respect for others and helpfulness’. There is an expectation that the whole school community including teachers and students will sustain this ethos.
There is a strong emphasis on values learning and maintaining a positive approach to learning. Many of the schools strategies are aimed towards helping students take responsibility for their own learning and behaviours and the school is active in encouraging parents to participate in supporting this approach through the development of effective communication and opportunities to participate in school life.
Values Learning at Edge Hill State School
A particularly impressive innovation developed by the schools is a Charter of Excellence built around challenge and support. There are high expectations of all students, international students included, and everyone is challenged and supported to achieve high standards. Underpinning the charter is an intention to involve parents and community in the life of the school.
School Charter of Excellence
- Edge Hill State School believes challenge leads to personal growth – it provides motivation for positive change. Support helps to ensure successful adaptation to meet the challenge.
- Our teachers will challenge our students with high expectations while supporting them by developing meaningful relationships and providing for individual learning needs.
- Our curriculum will challenge students with high expectations whilst supporting their intrinsic motivation to learn with differentiated learning.
- Our school will challenge students with high expectations for social and emotional learning while providing them with whole child support.
- Our school leaders will challenge teachers to improve performance while supporting their professional growth.
- Our school will challenge students to become adaptable and flexible, contemporary learners by supporting them with a rich and diverse digital pedagogy.
There is a strong commitment to the teaching of LOTE at Edge Hill State School. The curriculum reflects the priorities of the Australian National Curriculum in recognising the importance of Australia’s engagement with Asia in that all students from years 4 – 7 participate in a Japanese LOTE program. In addition to learning to comprehend and compose written and spoken texts in Japanese, students also learn about cultural practices and compare and contrast these to their own.